Has boxing moved on from the Pacquiao/Bradley controversy? What's next for Josesito Lopez? What fight got canceled? Is Bute ready for a rematch with Froch? Find out the answers to these questions and more in this week's "From Pillar To Post".
Boxing moves on as Attorney General closes case on Pacquiao vs. Bradley
Earlier this week, Nevada's attorney general closed the case on their investigation of the June 9th welterweight clash between Timothy Bradley and Manny Pacquiao. After interviewing the referee, NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer, and officials of the Nevada Gaming Control Board, no evidence was found leading to any criminal misconduct regarding the outcome of the bout. Promoter Bob Arum said that he was surprised that the investigation didn't include interviews of the three judges. Of course, in the letter that Arum sent requesting the review, he did specficially state, "I am not asking you to in any way investigate the determination by the judges." That being said, you have to wonder if Arum was even expecting any type of resolution. After all, immediately after the fight, during the post-fight press conference, Arum commented, "I have as much chance to win a protest as to challenge President Obama's birth certificate, which is none, so why go through the effort." At the end of the day, Arum was right all along. Despite the half-hearted protest, absolutely nothing was done, which means Bradley still won, Pacquiao still lost, and boxing will move on, just like it does every other time there's a close, controversial decision. This wasn't the first time Pacquiao was involved in a controversial decision, and it might not be the last, but boxing rarely ever changes its stripes for anyone...even if they're an eight-division world champion.
Tomasz Adamek faces James Toney on September 8
Yes, fight fans, you read that right. Following his spirited victory last month over the young and fast Eddie Chambers, Tomasz Adamek is returning to the ring this September to face the old and slow James "Lights Out" Toney. While I'm sure Toney can still slip and roll with some of the punches while he's against the ropes, at 43 years old, I highly doubt he'll be able to get anything done offensively against a mobile Adamek. Not to mention, the type of physical shape that Toney will likely be in will have him looking every bit his age and some. While the nostalgic side of me is hoping Toney proves us all wrong and at least has some moments, the realistic side of me is expecting Adamek to run away with a dominant and uneventful unanimous decision. I guess the upside is that the fight will take place early in the afternoon; an appetizer to an evening of fights that includes Alexander vs. Bailey and of course Ward vs. Dawson.
Josesito Lopez signs with Al Haymon, so what's next?
In the "No Shit" news of the week, Josesito Lopez officially signed with manager/adviser/most-powerful-man-in-boxing Al Haymon. For those that tuned in to witness his upset 9th round stoppage of Victor Ortiz, this news should come as no surprise considering that prior to the bout, Haymon's right-hand man Sam Watson could be seen prominently standing behind Lopez as he was introduced to the fans. As everyone knows, where there's Watson, there's Haymon. The more important question is now that he's officially with Haymon, what's next for Lopez on the heels of his career-defining victory. Call me crazy, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he gets rewarded with a career-high payday against the man that everyone is begging to get in the ring with...Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. Sound crazy? Maybe not when you consider that he just beat the man who was supposed to fight Alvarez. Truth be told, although several names have already been mentioned to be in the mix, Lopez is probably the one name who actually deserves it. Time will tell, but I'm kind of hoping that the kid gets the payday he deserves.
Cotto planning Winter return and possible move to 160.
According to reports, former jr. middleweight champion Miguel Cotto is eyeing a December 1 return his home away from home at New York's Madison Square Garden. It's unclear at what weight division Cotto will compete in, as rumor has it that he's considering a move to 160-pounds in hopes of becoming a four-division world champion. A potential opponent could be Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam (27-0, 17 KOs), the current interim WBO middleweight champion. After his gutsy performance against Floyd Mayweather in May, Cotto proved that he still has a lot left in the tank, so whatever he decides to do is okay by me, as I'm definitely looking forward to his next performance.
Pirog pulls out of Golovkin bout due to injury.
Speaking of middleweight champions, in the "That Blows" news of the week, after suffering a back injury, undefeated WBO middleweight champion Dmitry Pirog was forced to pull out of his highly-anticipated clash with fellow undefeated WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin. The news is unfortunate as both fighters are big punchers and the bout was scheduled to be televised on HBO. The good news as that HBO will still move forward with Golovkin facing a different opponent on August 25th.
Bute licks his wounds and demands immediate rematch.
Former super middleweight champion Lucian Bute has brushed the dirt off his shoulders and decided to exercise his rematch clause with the man who battered him from pillar to post, current champion Carl Froch. Unfortunately for Bute, he's going to have to wait a little longer than he wants to before he can erase the memory of his disappointing performance in Nottingham this past May. Because the promoters of both fighters already agreed to allow each man to take an iterim fight, Froch has already begun working on plans to defend his title this November in England, potentially in another rematch with Mikkel Kessler, the first man to defeat him. It's not clear at this point what Bute will do, but the rematch with Froch is tentatively scheduled for March of next year in Montreal.